Saturday, August 30, 2008

First Days on the Unit

After a day of rest on Wednesday, I hit the ground running on Thursday. I was supposed to be on the Unit at 6:30am - super early for me! And, this hospital is HUGE! It's probably the size of UAB & Children's combined, but instead of covering several city blocks, it's all crammed into one with different towers and bridges. Needless to say, it's very easy to get lost in this place. So, to give myself enough time to drive to the hospital, park and walk the 3 miles, 4 elevators and 5 bridges to find my Unit, I left my apartment at 5:30am - and woke up at 4:30!!!

So far, I think I'm going to like working on this Unit. The girls seem helpful and appreciative of me. They are extremely short staffed at the moment - which could be good and bad for me. Good because it means I probably won't get called off and should be able to work some overtime. Bad because we're still short-staffed with me and the nurse:patient ratio isn't great. We have a lot of cardio patients on this unit so I really need to sharpen my cardio skills!

But, after two twelve hour plus days, I'm exhausted and excited to spend my Saturday on the couch watching movies and football!

WAR EAGLE!!

1 comment:

jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.